Huh?

The Children's Home: A Novel - Charles Lambert

I received a free copy of this ebook through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

My feelings about The Children’s Home by Charles Lambert are a little ambivalent. On one hand I like the writing style, it reminds me quite a bit of Kazuo Ishiguro’s, Never Let Me Go. The author uses a disjointed method of revealing information and thereby, manages to build tension, in what is overall a slow moving book. When done by a talented author, the results are well worth the experience and Charles Lambert is talented enough to pull this off effectively. A lot of reviewers I noticed, complained about how slow moving the plot was, and how not everything got tied up at the end. This did not bother me, while I do enjoy everything getting tied up with a nice neat ribbon, I also enjoy reading books that imitate real life. As for the slow moving plot, yes, the story slowly creeps along to the denouement, but the story line was interesting enough to keep my attention and the book itself was short enough for the pace not to become overtiring.

So what didn’t I like about this book? It’s going to sound nitpicky, but I did not like the chapter headings. I am not a fan of the sentence at the beginning of the chapter, that describes what is about to happen, it ruins the suspense. Also, as much as I loved the atmosphere the author was able to create with his writing, the book could have used another pass through with an editor. There were some rough bits in the narrative, which if smoothed out, would make this book a four star read easily. I gave this book 3 1/2 stars.