Decent start to the series.

The Yard - Alex Grecian

"Nobody noticed when Inspector Christian Little of Scotland Yard disappeared, and nobody was looking for him when he was found."

I was hooked from the start of The Yard. Alex Grecian did a good job of keeping the plot moving by jumping from perspective to perspective. I loved the addition of the killer’s POV, at least in the beginning. The inclusion of Dr. Kingsley was a nice attempt at dating the work and I enjoyed the discovery of forensic techniques, like fingerprint analysis. However, there were a few issues that kept me from rating this higher.

I felt that the killer’s identity was revealed way too soon in the narrative. The perspective of the killer in the beginning of the book was interesting, when his identity was unknown. Once the killer’s identity was revealed, it felt like the Inspectors were being a little dense by not suspecting him. They were looking for a person in the killer’s line of work and he kept hanging around offering to help.

The author never manages to fully capture Victorian London. The dialogue was oddly modern and London was so poorly described, but for a few exceptions, the entire book could have taken place in modern day America. I think with a little more effort put into editing some aspects of the writing, I would have rated this 4 ½ stars. As it is, I gave it 3 ½ stars and look forward to the next book in the series.