Beauty Queens

Beauty Queens - Libba Bray

There was so much that I loved about this book. I loved the humor, the commercial breaks and the little bios about each of the contestants, which I needed in order to keep each of the contestants straight in my head. However, as impressed as I was by this book, I did think it tried to tackle too many issues at once. It was pretty much trying to point out all of societies issues at once and while I do think they all deserved to be looked at and examined, it feels like the author took on too large of a task.Because she tried to tackle so much at once in this book, none of the characters got much page time, which left me trying to remember who was who and none of the characters felt fully developed to me.To compound my confusion, the characters would frequently be referred to by the states they were representing for pages at a time, leaving me to struggle to remember who Miss Colorado and Miss New Mexico were. All in all, it was an enjoyable read, which could have been enhanced by focusing on fewer characters.